Friday, May 9, 2014

Team Spotlight: Serena Lazaroff

My name is Serena Lazaroff. I grew up on a farm outside of small town Canora, Saskatchewan. the farm is a grain farm as well as a cattle farm. I am very blessed to have been raised by amazing Christian parents. I have two older sisters and a "little" brother. I went to school in Canora and graduated there. Now I am attending the University of Saskatchewan in pursuit of a career in nursing. Ever since I was little I had thought about doing missions. This is one of the reasons why I am wanting to be a nurse, because I think it opens up a lot of mission opportunities.
The path that lead me to participate in the trip to Cameroon, I believe is truly God inspired. Last, last February (2013), a few days before the February break, a friend texted me asking if I would come to Alberta with him and two other guys that I didn't know and participate in the Race to 2025. This is a race put on by Wycliffe Bible Translators to raise money to start Bible translation in a specific present number of languages by the year 2025. The race is done in teams of four with the necessity of at least one member being a different gender than the rest. The girl my friend originally had on his tam had recently injured her back playing volleyball and was not able to make it. She had done all the fundraising, though, and was willing to give all the money to whoever would replace her. Within a few days, I was stuffed in a car with a bunch of luggage and three guys, two of which I barely knew. The guys arranged everything so I would get to Alberta and back home. When I arrived at the camp where the race was, I soon realized that I was the only high school student there. The race was hard, but a lot of fun! At the end of the two day race, the team was supposed to choose one of the team members that we thought deserved to have their name put in a draw for a scholarship for a short term missions trip with Wycliffe. At the supper when we were supposed to do this, the team was all spread out eating with different people we had made friends with. The guy who got the form for the scholarship just scribbled down my name and submitted it. Then my name was drawn. I was actually not too happy at the time. I was the youngest person there. There were so many more Bible college students that were more mature and could use the scholarship in a better way than I could. I wasn't even supposed to be there! I didn't do any fundraising or anything! After awhile I learnt to accept it. The scholarship expires within 18 months of receiving it and I couldn't go last year because I was in school until June high school departmental exams. So this summer is the only summer I have left to use the scholarship. The trip to Cameroon is the only trip that Wycliffe is putting on so this is where I am going. Looking at how all these things happened, I am amazed at how God lead me to be part of this team going to Cameroon. I know that this is where He wants me to be and He has great plans to use me and the rest of the team there. God really does work in amazing ways.



~ Serena



No comments:

Post a Comment