Friday, March 2, 2012

You know you wanna come....

I have seven days to turn in my deposit for this trip!! It's exciting and terrifying at the same time. I just have to remember, God will provide. If He wants me to go, I'll find this money. It's like a treasure hunt where the map is me constantly praying and remembering God is in control.

I decided to post again mainly to get more people aware. A full team has not yet been reached!! If Jessica and Sarah do not find the proper 10-12 people, no one will be going to Cameroon this summer to help out!! Can you imagine that? I mean, the Aghem people are seriously excited to have this group come in and help spread the Word. And, okay, I'm not sure if the people as a whole are excited to have a group of foreigners come in, but the ones doing the translation work and in the churches are. When I talked to Jessica the other day she told me about when she and Sarah visited them last year and talked with them. And now they are taking a team back in order to help show these people how exciting having a Bible in your own language can be.

As English speakers, we often forget what it is like to not be able to have access to information. If someone asks if we've read something, we haven't not because it isn't available to us in English but because we're not interested (or we're too lazy to go get the book). The Aghem did not even have a written language until someone went in and showed them the Bible. This is a life-changing event!! Even taking out the spirituality of it, this is important. Although for me bringing God's word is the most important part, these translators have done more than that. The Aghem people now have a way of writing down their thoughts, writing down their history. They now have a place in the world which will never be forgotten. They are not just a small language group anymore, they are a people with things to say and ideas they can write down. The next Shakespeare may very well come from this tribe, and it will be with only a small amount of outside help. Don't you want to be a part of that? It is so exciting to be able to guide people, to see them understanding on their own just because you said a few simple words. They can go on and do so much more now, just because you gave some time. Teachers, you know what I'm talking about. You get to share with someone about something you love, you see their eyes light up, and you know they understand and can now learn even more, possibly going beyond what even you know. I know this because of the day camps I worked at for a few years. I'll write another post about that later, because there is no way I can condense that whole experience that changed my life into one paragraph and in this post, I want to recruit you, not talk about me.

And you'll be able to see a whole new culture. It'll be the greatest thing. I can't imagine spending a summer in Africa will be anything like spending a summer anywhere else. And I'm not talking about a glorified vacation, like a lot of people think missions trips are. This is a working trip. Not only are we going to be almost constantly with the Aghem people, we have to learn their language. The whole point of this trip is to help the translators and to excite people about having the Bible in their own language. I don't think English will be the number one language here. That being said, a love for languages, cultures, and a little linguistic background would be helpful. You also have to be 18 or older (sorry if anyone younger was fired up about the trip and then read this...). Although this is a Wycliffe Canada trip, Americans are welcome (even if you aren't also Canadian, like me), so all my friends in Georgia, pray about it. All my friends pray about it! And, if you're a friend of a friend, you should pray about it. And everyone! Maybe God is calling you to come up to Toronto and come on this trip. Anyone who is even a least be interested, contact me and I'll give you all the information I can. Or, if you want to go straight to the source, and I suggest you do, go to this link http://www.wycliffe.ca/involved/instigate.html look at the Cameroon trip, the one on top, and then pray about it and apply, if you think God is so leading your heart. I'd love it if Jessica e-mailed me and said they had enough people for the trip and that it was going to happen! Remember, if God wants you to go, He'll provide the means.

No comments:

Post a Comment