Tuesday, May 15, 2012

And now you ought to know everything!

For those of you who are just tuning in, and for those of you who have been following along the whole time, I decided to post my newsletter which explains everything that is going on. And it has my updated information for receiving funds! And since this has been a kind of confusing journey, what with it starting as a trip and then becoming an internship and there being so much information for me to process and then share... Well, I know I probably left some information out and some of you might be confused as to what exactly is going on. So, here's my newsletter, with all it's news.


Wycliffe Canada Internship

Cameroon Summer 2012


Dear Friend,                                                                                                                 May 14, 2012

Some rather amazing, God-given things have been happening in my life recently and I want you to know about them, specifically so you can pray for me and what Wycliffe is doing in Cameroon and around the world. Wycliffe is working to translate the Bible into every viable language (any language which is not in danger of dying out in the next couple of years) by 2025.

This summer I am interning with CABTAL (Cameroonian Association for Bible Translation and Literacy) through Wycliffe Bible Translators  in order to work with and encourage the literacy teachers and Bible translators, and perhaps do some work with Cameroonian children.

What will I be doing?
I will be in Cameroon from June to July, and I will be hopping around a bit. I will be in Lamnso for two weeks, one in June and one in July, in order to help out with Literacy classes and Scripture Encouragement. The rest of the time I’ll be in Bamenda and maybe Babanki.

I have been asked if I am willing to do a few different things, so I’m not completely sure what exactly I’ll be doing, but from what I can tell I will be doing mostly a lot of encouragement in the form of sharing my testimony and talking about how important I think it is to have resources in one’s own language. I may also be able to work in a children’s camp, which I am really excited about. These will mostly be in English, so I’ll be able to really help out with them. I will also be bringing my laptop so I can help some teams record the Gospel of Luke.

Why do it?
Some of you know the passion I feel when I get a chance to work with languages. It’s the same passion you feel if you are a teacher and cannot give up on a student, if you are a social worker and fight for your clients rights, if you are a scholar and are on the trail of a breakthrough. This is the passion I have for languages and the people who speak them – it is my God-given calling to emphasize the equality of every language and to make a language not a barrier but an open door. I want to be able to encourage the Cameroonians whom I will be working with that just because their language did not have an alphabet until recently, it does not mean that their language is less important or that they should not learn how to read in their language. One’s mother tongue is the language you really learn in and is never ever a lesser language. This is why I am going to Cameroon this summer, and I can only hope that I can have some impact, even if I am the only one changed.

How you can help:
As always, you can pray for me. God has been working so much as He led me to this internship. I know He is moving me, but support through prayer is always welcome.

Financial support is welcome, too. I will be in Cameroon for two months, so I am going to need money. Do not feel obligated to give me money because I sent you this letter, but if God lays it on your heart to donate to my internship, I would be really appreciative. If you are in Canada, please go to www.wycliffe.ca and click on Get Involved and then Give. There are different options on how you can give. Just make sure it goes to Sarah Horton.

If you are in the US there are a few different ways you can give. You can go to http://www.wycliffe.org/Give.aspx. Or you can call 800-WYCLIFFE. Donors need to tell Wycliffe US that the donations are for the work of Sarah Horton and give my international project number which is 238952.

If you would like to keep up with what I am doing and how my support is going, please read and follow my blog! I try to post every week and am going to try to keep that up while I am in Cameroon too. http://karimahorton.blogspot.com/

With great appreciation,

 

Karima Horton

678-689-4810

No comments:

Post a Comment