Monday, May 7, 2012

I had a name for this, but now I can't remember.

Hello world!
Oh my word! So, I've had my training sessions! I have learned a ton. It was so great. I'm so excited!
Where to start?

At the very beginning, of course.

I spent the last two days with Jessica, a truly wonderful young woman who has been to Cameroon several times. I learned so much from her the last two days. It's crazy. Here's what I learned:

1. Jesus is perfect, and we can't be perfect, but we should still strive for it.
2. Cameroonians are totally different than Americans and Canadians.
       a. Americans and Canadians are task-oriented, individualistic, equality-minded people.
       b. Cameroonians are a relationship-minded, network-oriented, authoritarian people.
3. It can be really awkward going into a restaurant where you and your companion are the only people.
4. If a true understanding of the Gospel is to be had, you need to scrap your old worldview. You have to learn to see things in a new light, and leave your old view behind.
5. If God wants something to happen it will happen. What you see as a horrible, life-altering mishap, God sees as His perfect plan. Even though you just crossed your legs and therefore told everyone in the room that you are the most powerful person in the room does not mean the world is going to end. You will be forgiven by the people AND have a hilarious story to tell people.
6. Don't cross your legs in Cameroon unless you are the most powerful person in the room.

That's what I learned. Obviously, there is more, but I'm really excited and don't really want to sit and type out all the very interesting, but long details of all these things. All I really want to do is talk about how excited I am for, well, every thing.

Do you want to know about the culture? Do you want to know what I've learned about that? Because, my word, I want to tell you.

Okay, so, Cameroon respects modesty and they think the legs are very scandalous. Sure, they understand there are different cultures, but more respect is given if you follow their standards of dress. It is similar to a Christian woman going to a Muslim country and refusing to wear a head scarf. It shows respect and that you know something about their culture. All this to say, I am going to be wearing long skirts basically everyday for two months. Now, I only have three skirts which are long enough. Frankly, if I were Cameroonian, that would be plenty. But I'm not and am in fact from a very materialistic culture and in some ways embrace it. For instance, I love clothes. And buying clothes. And, since I only have three skirts, I have decided (and in fact been encouraged by Jessica) to buy clothes there! Yay! Tell me that isn't the coolest thing. I get to expand my wardrobe AND reach out to people culturally. Sweet!

I still have so much to write about, but I'm at the airport, on my way home, and have kind of lost my train of thought. But don't worry, faithful followers (all two of you)! I'll write another entry soon!

As always, please pray for my safe travels as I hop around the globe this summer. Pray that I will be of some use this summer  and that I will learn and be able to reach out somewhat to the people I will be working with. If you have any questions (such as, where do I send this check for you so you can have the money to go) please e-mail me (sarahkarima@gmail.com)!

1 comment: