Saturday, July 21, 2012

Goodbye, Bamenda.

When I came to the guest house last night I honestly felt like I was coming home, just a little bit. It was a good feeling. I've stayed here three times during my weeks here, and it's been wonderful. I love this house. I wish I could've stayed more often and gotten to know the city better.

I leave tonight to go to Tounin and after that I'll be going straight to Yaounde because I am leaving soon. I have every intention of coming back one day and spending more time here, but God's plan is not the plan of man, so we'll see. I hope I can come back.

Last night something happened that made everything I've been doing worthwhile. Well, yesterday was a good day on the whole, but last night made me think, I may not really like what I've been doing, but look how many people I've gotten to know and how much I've learned.

We drove into Bamenda around 6 yesterday and I got the keys and went to the guest house, as usual. I had a lot to do because I knew this was my last night in the northwest and I needed to finish some things and see if I could meet up with a few people. So, I called Sandrine to let her know I'd made it safely to Bamenda and ask what was going to happen today (Saturday) because I knew I was supposed to leave, but didn't know how or when.

I ended up having to leave and go to another center because that's where the guy I was leaving with was staying and it would be easier. And then I started freaking out, because I had wanted to get online and e-mail and I knew where the guest house was and could direct the people I needed to see how to get there, but I didn't know this place and if I'd be able to see my people. But I packed all my stuff back into the car and went.

And God has never been more in control. I arrived and it turned out CABTAL was having a teaching conference for some different translation groups and there were people from all the different projects i had worked in, except the Lamnso project. At first I only saw one guy I knew and that made me happy, because I did need to see him and talk to him, but then all of a sudden I was swarmed by all these different people and they were all asking how I was and how it went in Babanki and if their village was better or not. I had needed to also download some chapters from a lady (she had audacity on her computer so she edited her own work, which was a great boon) and she was there. And because I had all my stuff and she had her laptop (I'm telling you, God was at work in every moment) we were able to quickly rerecord some bits and then I could put it all on my computer. But it was so great. I knew probably half the people at the conference because of the work I had done. And it ended up that they were full, so I had to come back to the guest house, which meant I could send my e-mails, too! And I got dinner, which is always a good thing. The hilarious thing was that it was potatoes... I was like, seriously? I've had potatoes every day for the last week. You couldn't have made rice? But there are worse things than potatoes. Like achu.

When I was leaving Babanki yesterday, something else wonderful happened that made me very happy (I told you, God was all over yesterday). The teachers who had been reading for me - my team - all thanked me and gave me a little basket, with avocados, a pineapple (Debbie Cifuentes! You probably won't read this, but I got a PINEAPPLE!!), and honey. It's delicious honey, by the way. It made me so happy. I wanted to hug them all... I should've, actually. But I thanked them and said I wished I could do more. And I really do. I still feel like what I'm doing isn't enough because I can't do it very well....

But I also feel like yesterday was God telling me, "You aren't doing anything you like, no, but you're doing My work and you are helping people. Just do the work and rejoice in the fellowship and friendships you are making." Especially since my mom sent me an e-mail that said basically the same thing.

Now I know why so many short-term missionaries end up staying long-term and why long-term missionaries can stay forever. I've only been here a month and a half and I've been moving around, the longest time I've spent anywhere was Kumbo and that was ten days, but I feel like crying when I think of going home. If I don't come back, it'll be very painful for me. I'll definitely miss the people I've met and reassuring them that yes, we do have potatoes in America (I've actually said this several times over) and the country. It's so beautiful here. Probably prettier than Georgia, and I don't say that lightly. But I haven't seen any elephants, so I have to come back.

Please pray as I travel today. We're taking a bus and it's on the road to Yaounde, so it could be up to a six hour bus ride. Maybe longer, because it was six hours from Yaounde in a car and this is a bus... But I'm guessing we're not going all the way to Yaounde, so hopefully not. It's also in the French district and the Pastor I'm traveling with told me right off he didn't really know English and was praying that we'd be able to understand each other... I was told there were a few English speakers in this project, but... I guess it's time to learn French! Should be fun. I look forward to it. It'll be something to keep my mind off leaving Cameroon. (Because all the editing I have left won't do that...)

Just under two more weeks! Thank you for reading and praying for me as I travel along! Please keep praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment