Saturday, July 28, 2012

I caught a pick-pocket.

That's right. I caught a pick-pocket trying to steal my phone out of my purse.

Today I went to this really big market with a couple of friends and we were squeezing through the crowds when all of a sudden I look down and see a hand in my purse and it comes out with my phone. So I grabbed the guys arm and said, "Give it back." He feigned innocence of course, so I said, "Give me back my phone." And he gave it back. Praise God.

Afterwards I was thinking, and I was like, oh my word. I just stopped a pick-pocket. I grabbed his arm. What if he'd been more prone to violence? Oh dear. And I thanked God that it was easy to get it back. My companions were shocked that I actually caught him, but I just happened to be looking down when he reached in.

He was pretty sneaky. I won't underestimate pick-pockets again. Not that I usually just walk around without keeping hold of my purse, but I wouldn't have known at all if I hadn't seen him do it. He had my phone squirreled away almost as soon as it was out of my purse.

What's fun is now we both have a pretty great story. I can tell people I caught a pick-pocket (!) and he can tell people that a white girl caught him stealing. Maybe he'll think twice next time. Maybe not, but we can hope and pray for him. I bet he didn't know when he tried to take my phone that he'd have a bunch of people praying for him because of it. But, you know, there's nothing greater I could do for him. Besides sharing the gospel, but then maybe he goes to church. Maybe he'll be in my church tomorrow. That would be crazy. But not likely. So I'll just write him down on my prayer list so I remember him and pray that he comes to know God soon and is able to find a better job.


I'm in Yaounde now. My time here is winding down and it's rather sad. I really hope I can come back. I finally got an African dress today, and I'm pretty excited about that. Of course now I regret not buying another one, but that's just another reason to come back. I haven't done nearly enough shopping.


Or work! I should really get back to that. I keep finding reasons to put it off, like finally getting online, or trying on my dress, or making dinner... Very important stuff considering I have 21 chapters lefts to edit. it doesn't sound as stressful as it really is. Next time I'm doing all the work in the village, no matter how long I have to extend my stay. But for now, back to work! If you see me online, yell at me (I fell like I'm back in school. Someone hold me accountable!)

1 comment:

  1. That's a crazy story! Glad that everything turned out okay

    ReplyDelete