Thursday, June 7, 2012

Peace Like A River?

I know the question buzzing on all of your minds right now is, "Why did she call her blog It is Well With My Soul? Wouldn't it be more practical to call it Cameroon Trip or My Really Complicated Journey to Cameron Where God Has Tested Me Every Step of the Way?" Well, first of all, that last one is a really long name and I didn't know it would be such a test when I made it. And Cameroon Trip? Come on. That's boring and so confining. I'd have to end it after my trip. No, I wanted to name it after my favorite song in the universe because it helps me remember what really matters and that I should always keep my heart pointed towards God.

I don't know if you know who Horatio Spafford is, but he wrote that song. Actually, let's not start there. Let's start with the song. I don't know if all of you have heard it. You should. Go youtube it right now. I recommend the version by Jars of Clay, but there are other good ones.

I'm trusting that you have all listened to it now. Did you hear those amazing words? They lift me up every time. I'm jst going to put them right here for you, in case you can't listen to it. I just highlighted the stuff I think you should take a while to really reflect upon.


When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say.
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Refrain:
It is well, (it is well),
With my soul, (with my soul)
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,

That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life,
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
But Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul.
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Now let me tell you about Horatio Spafford. He was a lawyer and wealthy man. In 1870 he had five children, one son and four daughters, and enough wealth to live comfortably, at least. In 1871 his only son died at the age of four and then he lost all of his money in the Great Chicago Fire. In 1873 he and his family was going to go to Europe, but something came up at work so he sent his wife and daughters ahead. The ship sank and the only survivor (within his family, I don't know about the whole ship) was his wife. In two years the man had lost everything except his wife. And his faith in God. So he wrote the lyrics to this song and in 1881 he and his family (including two baby girls) moved to Jerusalem and started American Colony - a group dedicated to serving the poor.

I have experienced nothing like this man has, but I've constantly doubted and tested God. I've wondered what He's going to do in my life, what He could possibly do. What good am I? Why would God use me? Why does He test me? Why do bad things happen to me whenever I feel God has most called me to do something? Why do things never work out the way I want them to? First of all, because I'm not God. I don't have His infinite wisdom and power. All I have is a doubting heart and the wisdom of men. This song helps me remember that. "Whatever my lot thou has taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul." If a man can not only sing this, but write this words and truly believe them after he has lost everything, I think I can put a little more trust in God while I wait for my visa. His plans are not the plans of men and he works all things out for my good and His glory.

On a less serious note, Horatio Spafford is one of the reasons why I want to name my son Horatio. I only know three Horatios; one was Hamlet's best friend, another was Horatio Hornblower, and the last was the amazing man who wrote this song. Hamlet was crazy and a little bit annoying (Just freaking kill your uncle, for crying out loud! Stop waiting.) But Horatio. He never waved, he didn't sell out Hamlet to his uncle. He was Hamlet's sounding board and stood by him through everything. And when Hamlet is dying, Horatio is like, "Let me die with you!" But Hamlet says, "No! Live on and tell my story." and Horatio does. He tells Frotinbras all about it when Fortinbras just comes in and assumes the throne. Such a good friend! it brings tears to my eyes.

I'm going to admit right now, I don't know a lot about Horatio Hornblower. All I know is that he is a character in these books and there are a lot of them. However, he's an officer in the Royal Navy, so that alone makes him pretty awesome in my book. I just read the wikipedia article and now I want to read the books. He has "skill and daring" and although he starts off poor and has no influential friends he rises in the ranks. I like him. But then, I'll read any novel about the navy but only set in the 1800-1900s, that is. I only like it if they can fight duels.

So yeah. Seriously, I'm finding so much peace in that song right now as I wait for my visa and funds. I seriously can't do anything except pray and call people. Everything is out of my hands and in God's. But I can trust Him because he took all my sin away at the price of His own Son. Why would anyone, especially the God of the universe, do that for someone if He didn't have a greater plan for them and was constantly working towards that plan? The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever (thank you Westminster Catechism of Faith). That means remembering and trusting that He is in control no matter what.
I hope you can remember that with me, as you go through trials.

And no, as of 12:38 on June 7th my visa has not come yet and I'm supposed to leave tomorrow. I'm still short in the funds department too, although I really don't know by how much any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment